Position is responsible for leading and executing all Test/Development functions associated with Conventional and Electronic Braking System Products, supporting OEM Applications in the North American region. This includes, but is not limited to: Dynamometer level testing, Bench level (internally and externally generated) testing, and Vehicle level testing.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead the test/development function of new and existing conventional (foundation) and electronic brake component/system designs for new/existing OEM customer applications, as well as internal development projects, for Mobis’ North American based Technical Center in Plymouth, Michigan (MTCA.)
- Lead the planning, management, and execution of the NVH Brake Dynamometer test function for the MTCA Brake Lab. This role includes, but is not limited to: Brake Dynamometer scheduling, test planning and execution, maintenance and calibration planning and execution, and test result analysis, troubleshooting, and reporting.
- Develop and provide test methodology/development innovations and technical leadership as needed to achieve project goals. Leadership and technical ownership in the planning, execution, and reporting of experimental and validation testing results for conventional and electronic brake components.
- Act as the Brake Testing/Development project leader to gather and understand all related program information, maintain project evidence files, liaise with internal team members and customers on technical issues, and interface with other departments as needed.
- Execute and maintain DVP&R and test/development ownership of project(s) from concept through product manufacturing launch.
- Perform engineering analysis of test/development results as needed to make appropriate engineering decisions and recommendations, and prepare appropriate reporting/communication documentation as needed. Recommend corrective actions in cases of performance non-compliance.
- Organize and conduct project test/development reviews within both the local and global R&D organization, local and global management, and with internal/external customers as needed.
- Support and provide problem solving capability for brake related project issues, both in-house and with the customer for specific project applications.
- Maintain awareness of program timing milestones related to development engineering and achieve target timing for testing/development related tasks.
- Prepare and deliver presentation materials in support of current and new development program results and proposals as needed during a project to communicate information.
- Work within established procedures and work instructions, while supporting development/enhancement of procedures and work instructions, observing testing/development guidelines and procedures for brake testing/development.
- Demonstrate ownership and participate collaboratively in the design and creation of test procedures; recommend and implement improvements and innovative solutions to test equipment, procedures, and methodologies.
- Provide leadership with validation engineers and technicians in developing, creating, and performing procedures and technical aspects of test and measurement execution, for Dynamometer testing, Bench testing, and Vehicle testing.
- Perform modifications to test samples when necessary. Candidate requires ability to assemble conventional and electronic brake system components from sub-components, participate in the creation of product design concepts, components, and fixture drawings. Familiarity with use of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing on drawings.
- Perform all required functions on multiple applications simultaneously.
- Report to management and stakeholders on status, outcomes, and results versus established targets and metrics.
Collaborative Working Relationships
- Brake Team, Mobis R&D Center in Plymouth, MI
- Brake Team, Mobis R&D Center in Mabuk, Korea
- Other Engineering functional groups, Mobis R&D Center in Plymouth, MI
- Sales, Program Management, Quality, Manufacturing functional groups, Mobis North America
- External vendors
- External customers
- Comprehensive technical leadership and project ownership with the testing/development of existing conventional (foundation) and electronic brake component/system designs to new OEM customer applications.
- 5+ years in mechanical design/development for automotive applications, preferably in the Brake/Chassis landscape.
- BS/MS in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience directly related to the testing/development of conventional/foundation and/or electronic braking component/system applications for the automotive industry.
- Solid understanding of design and development concepts, including mechanics, mechatronics, physics, kinematics, materials science, etc.
- Demonstrated experience related to the operation, execution, and analysis of brake dynamometer generated test/development data.
- Application of intuitive thinking, and pursuit of innovative thinking and creative problem solving.
- Experience/exposure applying various problem solving tools.
- Demonstrated experience applying the use of commercial design and analysis tools (i.e. CATIA, Auto-Cad, Solid Works, ME-10, MATLAB, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Culturally sensitive to different business cultures from the East and West.
Key Result Areas & Success Indicators
- Active participation and technical leadership in the creation, development, and growth of MTCA’s Advanced Braking Design/Development Capability.
- Creation of and local adaptation of Global design/development processes and tools for Brake mechanical/electrical product design/development.
- This role is critical in the establishment and growth of the MTCA R&D Brake Lab Function.
- 10-20% for local business trips, for domestic and abroad.
To Apply click here